8.28.2007

Where Is Your Hope Built?

We've recently learned of a family in the states considering us for adoption. I can't go into details yet but needless to say it's been very exciting but has left us a little anxious.

So two nights ago I was sharing my worries with the Lord and told Him, “I don’t want to get my hopes up.” As soon as I thought the words this song came to mind "my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness". I was so thankful for the gentle reminder that my hope is not in anything but Christ – not my family, not my job, not material possessions or even my desire to be a mom.

It’s easy to built our hope in things or people other than Christ when we forget to remember the Lord’s working in our lives. Psalm 103 speaks a little of this...

Praise the Lord, O my soul, all my inmost being, praise His holy name

For all that I am, everything I’m made of, every part of me…

Praise the Lord, O my soul and forget not all his benefits

Do you take time each day to remember the blessings of God. I so appreciate Hubby in that every day, even after having our home for 4 years he thanks God for providing us with a home. He’s so thankful for what God has blessed us with. Take the time to read Psalm 105 – David spends time remembering the benefits of the Lord and all the times He rescued his people.

Who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases

Have you forgotten the magnitude of your sin? When you compare yourself to someone in the bible do you consider yourself to be more like Jesus or more like Peter?

Who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion

Have you forgotten where Christ rescued you from? Not only does He rescue you from sin but He does so with love and compassion. One day some of the youth staff and I were praying and one of them was praying about God’s love and I was overcome because we are so blessed. What other “god”, what other religion can say without a shadow of a doubt that their “god” loves them. That their “god” wants to crown them with love and compassion and shower them with mercy and forgiveness.

Who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagles.

Oh cool, we’re going to get whatever we want – whatever we desire! I don’t think that’s necessarily the case but when our hope is built on nothing less than Jesus our desires change. The definition of “good things” changes and our focus turns toward heaven instead of toward the world.

Even though we're excited about this new opportunity for adoption we are thankful that whatever happens our hope is built on Christ.

No comments: