10.29.2007

Into The Wild


On Friday night Hubby and I went to the movie Into The Wild* with my brother and his wife. I had read a little about this story, mainly because portions of it was made in our great state of South Dakota.

It was a great movie, very well made. It's depressing, yet hopeful. Sad yet full of joy. Very difficult to put into words how you are feeling when you leave the theatre. It definitely makes a person think about what truly brings happiness. What is it that brings the soul complete peace and satisfaction? We never really know if the main character finds this peace, a peace that I believe is only found through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

I also asked myself if I could do what he did. Leave everything behind - and I mean EVERYTHING and go on a journey into the unknown. Not worrying about what tomorrow will bring or what he would eat or where he would sleep... hmm that sounds familiar (Matthew 6:25). Yes, I do have perfect peace in Jesus Christ, but I also allow myself to get caught up in the things and possessions I have, even my family that I often put before my relationship with Jesus.

It definitely makes one think - and hopefully learn and grow and change to be more like Christ.

*This movie is rated R. We usually don't go to rated R movies (not legalistic there just haven't found many R movies that bring us closer to Christ). When my brother called and invited us we were torn what to do and we shared that with him. So we did alot of research and found out pretty much exactly what was in the movie, when, why, etc. I have to admit I did close my eyes a couple times or Hubby and I would turn and look at each other. I don't regret that we went. I learned from this movie and it has provided many open doors for discussion. I encourage you though, to be diligent in understanding what you will see if you go to this movie, and any R rated movie for that matter. 1 Peter 2:11

No comments: