12.20.2007

A Child

I was sitting in the sanctuary the other day. Praying, listening, being still. As we've been experiencing the highs and lows of adoption I was feeling very overwhelmed. I had so much joy in my heart that this little child would, Lord willing, be coming into our home. That my husband and I would have a child together. But at the time I also had the knowledge that nothing was final yet and so at times that caused me to have fear.

As I sat there I looked at the beautiful blue banner on the alter. "For Unto Us A Child Is Born". Yes, that's true. For unto us (Pat and I) a child has been born that will be given to us as our own, to raise and love and guide and nuture. A child that I've longed and prayed for for many years.

And then Christ reminded me to not forget the real meaning of that verse. For unto us a Child has been born. Unto me. A sinner - many times I've thought the apostle Paul was crazy calling himself the "chief of sinners". I was the chief of sinners. And still the Child was born. I was reminded that as great and wonderful and amazing as it will be to have a child of our own - there is nothing more sweet than the love of the Christ child. Absolutely nothing - not marriage, not children, not health, not wealth. Nothing greater than sitting there with Jesus remembering all that He had done for me. Nothing greater than His forgiveness. Nothing greater than the hope and peace and joy He brings.

Perhaps you've allowed circumstances in your life, the busyness of Christmas or trials and fears to draw your thoughts away from the Christ child. Right now as you read this commit to that quiet time with Jesus. Turn off the tv and the computer. Turn off your radio or ipod. Turn off your phone (trust me, it'll be ok!). Sit in the silence of your living room, the sanctuary of a church or an office at work. Whether it be December or June, let us be reminded "For Unto Us A Child Is Born".

No comments: